Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mom

Today is Mother's Day and I guess it is kind of fitting that we are in Indiana with so many Amish folks around us.  My mother loved to cook but her specialty was baking.  She made many assorted cookies, fruit breads, butter horns, cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls, pies, and dinner rolls.  She used to bake all day long working on several different things at the same time.  She was an extraordinary cook who liked to prepare meals for people who liked to eat.

I bring this up because our lineage on her side of the family stops with my mothers great grandmother.  I have been told she had Pennsylvania Dutch on her side of the family but have no way to confirm it beyond some things I have noticed over the years.  Several years ago I attended an Amish Arts and Crafts Show in Kent, Washington, there was a video playing that showed some of the everyday life of the "Plain People."  As I watched the video I noticed the women were dressed very similar to the dresses and aprons that my mother used to make for herself.  Most of the women in the film had silver hair the same as my mother.  And a bunch of stuff they were baking looked a lot like the goodies my mom had been making.
Pecan Rolls I found yesterday.
While in Intercourse, Pennsylvania a few years ago, Mia and I stopped at a small roadside bakery called the Bird-In-The-Hand Bake shop and found many of the items that my mom had made and they tasted just like moms.  I haven't been able to fine any place else that comes close to duplicating her baked goods until yesterday when we stopped here in Indiana at another Amish bakery, County Lane Bakery.  They had white yeast dinner rolls that nearly duplicated moms.  Not like those you get in the grocery store.  Not even close.  And they had pecan rolls and cinnamon rolls that looked like they would match up to moms.  I purchased some of the pecan rolls and after a taste found them to be very, very close to what mom used to make.

I have missed my mom for a very long time as she passed at the age of 70 in 1982.  I miss all the things she did for us from the gaudy shirts she made for us to the food you just couldn't stop eating.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the mothers out there.  Love you, mom.

Hope all is well and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment