Friday, June 12, 2015

Washington DC and George Washington's Mt Vernon Home



A warning to the reader that there will be some ranting and raving later in this blog post.

With the weather conditions severe here in the Washington DC area with temperatures reaching into triple digits and super high (100%) humidity, Mia and I decided to head over to George Washington's Mt Vernon early this morning to ensure we were in and out before the day go too hot.  We succeed with ease and returned to a cool trailer now that our air conditioning works.  It is going to get very, very hot this afternoon and I suspect that I will find my way to the land of naked skin down by the two pools that this park has.

While Monticello is amazing for the architectural design, Mt Vernon is amazing for the simplicity of design.  Mt Vernon was home to George and Martha Washington from their wedding in 1759 to their deaths.  Monticello was sold a couple of times to those outside the Jefferson family but Mt Vernon has not been outside the family or foundation hands thus the property appears to be in much better condition.  The historical gardens are beautiful and the self guided tour of the house with no set time was great.  All of the grounds are kept in excellent condition.  There is a pioneer farm with folks working it in the correct garb for the era.  There are other trades being practiced as well.  The cemetery for their family was small but adequate.  The views from the back of the house across the Potomac are spectacular.  Pictures are only allowed outside the home.

The House and Kitchen
The Green House


Across the back lawn

Gardens

Gardens


Overseers cabin

Side of the home

On top the home

Corral

Wharf on the Potomac

More Gardens


Corn is knee high

George and Martha's resting place



Buildings alongside the barn

Sixteen side barn

Fence posts





On to my other issues.  On the way to Mt Vernon this morning it occurred to me that the road rules are apparently only made for me.  I travel at the speed limit and obey the rules of the road but it is obvious to me that in this part of the country the only person following the rules is me.  So it would appear that all the road signs and the regulations that go with them are intended for me and no one else.  The government apparently spends a lot of money to make sure Ken follows the rules.  I can't tell you how many times I have been given dirty looks by those who feel the need to run 15 to 30 miles per hour faster than the posted speed limit.  Or cut off by folks who feel it is okay to make a left hand turn in front of me from a right hand turn only lane.  All of this and there is an amazing amount of traffic.

I used to hate Los Angeles for the traffic that seems to always be around.  No matter what time of day or the day of the week there was traffic.  Three o'clock in the morning and there are traffic jams.  Well, Washington DC is not to be out done.  This area could have some of the worst driving conditions in the country.  Virginia and Maryland make it almost impossible for traffic on an entrance ramp to merge with freeway traffic at speed because they make you enter the freeway on curved entrance ramps with a very short distance to make a proper merge.  It is hard for just about everyone to get up to speed and merge with the traffic flow.

The people providing services here are not the nicest people in the world.  I don't want to include everyone in the statement but the vast majority of folks outside the parks and attractions we have visited have some really bad attitudes.  It seems to be a part of the overall environment here to be rude and condescending.  I  used to work with someone who grew up in Boston and he tried to tell me over and over again that the West coast mentality was the polar opposite of the East coast mentality.  I don't know if Woody reads the blog but I know folks who know him that do.  Please, someone let him know that I concede to his wisdom on the subject.  The two coasts have completely different outlooks on how to treat others.

While Virginia and Maryland are beautiful places to visit, I look forward to Monday when we can start home and leave the east coast in our rear view mirror.

Hope all is well and thanks for stopping by.  Sorry about the ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment