Sunday, December 1, 2013

Warnings Are Up


Our area of the country is being warned of an impending arctic winter storm bearing down on the region from the north.  It is kind of deja vu.

November 27, 2006 the Green Bay Packers came to Seattle to play the Seahawks on Monday night football.  I'll never forget that night since I left work just before the storm hit the Pacific Basin.  It snowed on the game and even though Green Bay comes from snow country, Seattle evaded defeat.

I remember getting up the following morning, warming up the car as I cleaned the windows and listening to the radio and hearing about the traffic issues caused by the storm that blew in the night before.  It was icy as I pulled away from the curb.  The snow was deep for this area and I made tracks for work.  As I have said before, I tend to get up early and it was early, 2:30 am.  As I entered the freeway I saw vehicles spun out, flex buses sitting stuck and jackknifed in the middle of the lanes and the whole southbound lanes tied up with vehicles that didn't seem to be moving.  It turned out that most of those folks sitting over there were trying to get home from the Seahawk game.  Some would not arrive home until later in the morning.  Others left their cars were they ran out of gas and walked away adding further to the congestion.

We can only hope that we are better prepared if the storm arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment