Thursday, June 27, 2013

Long Trip Is Over 6

We awoke fairly early on Monday morning and decided to drive awhile before stopping for breakfast.  Instead of using Highway 212, we were advised by the family to try Highway 12 which runs parallel with the North Dakota border, slips into North Dakota and back into Montana and comes out at Billings.  Actually, I 90 is Highway 12.  The father of the bride is a truck driver by trade and we had told him that we purchased some books on tape to take with us but discovered that it was pretty boring listening to some read a book.  He suggested Graphic Audio, A Movie In Your Mind.  He brought us William W. Johnstone's, "Eagles", four DVD series on the history of the west involving one family.  We started listening and never stopped all the way home.  These are a great way to make the miles go by in a hurry.  So I got to wondering, are there pod casts of old radio shows that I can down load for our travels?  Why use there are and I am in the process of putting some on CD as well as in my IPOD.

As we traveled down Highway 12 we found an IHOP in Aberdeen, SD and had one of the most terrible customer service experiences that I have ever seen.  I didn't leave a tip and couldn't wait to get back on the road.  We traveled through farm country in the early morning and watched the sun come up before slipping into North Dakota and then on to Billings.  When we arrived in Billings we had plenty of time left in the day so we moved on to Bozeman.  We found a nice motel and went to dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ.  We had a wonderful dinner and went back to the motel and I found myself fast asleep.

We packed up and hit the road for home at 4 am.  We stopped at a Perkins Restaurant and had a wonderful breakfast.  Once again we were on the road along I 90 in the plains area of Montana.  The trip was uneventful except for the near miss of almost hitting a doe outside Butte.  Poor thing was in the  middle of the freeway, crossed in front of me.  I swerved to the outside lane and just barely missed her.
Mia said there wasn't much more than a matchstick between the truck and her backside.  That was enough to wake both of us up and we traveled the rest of the way home with no further incidents other than a down pour as we arrived home.

Tired and wanting to see Honey we quickly unpacked and went to get her.  We had stopped at the Yellow Chapel Cafe in Ellensburg around 2 pm and had their big 1/3 pound angus burger on heavenly bread so neither of us was very hungry.  We had taken a large piece of carrot cake to go and we enjoyed it after the reunion with Honey followed by bed....sweet bed in our own bed.

So ended the trip.  2884 miles in four days.  I don't think I'll be doing that when I travel after retirement.

1 comment:

  1. That is a lot of miles in four days. I can bet you were happy to see your own bed!! Glad you made it safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete