Sunday, August 23, 2015

Selkirk Loop, Part Two

After the quilt shop we hopped on down to Crawford Bay.  A small village made up of artisans with products from hand woven clothing to hand made brooms.  There are a couple of pottery shops and a blacksmith shop as well.   Mia visited the woven products artisan and ended up purchasing a beautiful shawl.  We spent a hour or so going through the shops and had a great time talking to all the folks who were busy making their specialties.

As it was getting close to 3:00 o’clock p.m. we took off to locate our next destination, a bread and breakfast called Wedgewood Manor.  I liked the pictures that I saw on line when investigating this trip and thought it would be fun since we have never stayed in a B&B.  Ends up, this place has history.
The view as you enter

The original stove sits on the porch

Gardens are beautiful

The gather area for guests

Our room

Our private patio

Our fireplace compete with Honey's water dish

The entry to the house

Spectacular gardens everywhere

Beautiful view from breakfast on the covered porch

Built in 1910 on a fifty acre site with views of the Kokanee glacier this charming English style manor was the dream of Senior Commander James Matthew Harrison and his wife, Lady Lucy Caroline Wedgewood.  In the 1880’s during a stop over Senior Commander Harrison traveled to the area on a hunting and fishing trip with friends.  He was so taken with the area and the ruggedness of the landscape that he decided that he and his family would retire to the area after his Royal Naval Service.

Commander Harrison had three sons and two daughters.  One son died of scarlet fever before they left England and two of his sons, both serving in the Royal Navy, stayed behind as he packed up his daughters and wife and headed to their new home then called “Freckleton”.  Both of his daughters married local men and the house on the property next to the Manor was built by one of their husbands.

In World War I, the family was devastated by the loss of both of the sons who had remained in England.  Both were killed in action.  To immortalize his sons Commander Harrison built a little church just up the hill from the manor.  Unfortunately Mrs. Harrison died quite suddenly in June of 1919 and the church became a memorial to her as well.  Commander Harrison died in June of 1926 and both are buried next to each other on the property.

The host and hostess of the place are amazing.  Honey was welcomed with open arms and there were other very friendly dogs for her to play with.  She was allowed to wander the property and the house without restriction.  The manor is a beautiful, quaint English style house with beautiful woodwork and no televisions in sight.  They have wi-fi so you aren’t completely isolated unless you want to be.  We had an amazing stay, slept the best we have slept in some time while in the Commanders study that has been turned into a lovely room.

Sadly we had to leave the following morning and after enjoying a wonderful breakfast made for us by the hostess, we were forced to hit the road for our next destination, Spokane.  We made several stops along the way as we worked our way across the border and down into Idaho to I90 and across to Spokane.  As we got closer to Spokane the dense smoke got thicker. 

We spent the night at a Quality Inn and made footprints for home the next morning arriving back at the trailer at around two in the afternoon.  It was a quick but very enjoyable trip for all of us.
Sunset thru the smoke in Spokane

Sunrise the following day with more smoke in the air

Hope all is well and thanks for dropping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment