Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Apprehension Is Gone

I'll get into the title of this blog and some pictures in a moment.

Suffice it to say that this was a long week filled with some victories and a couple of defeats. I get today off and then Sunday my grandson and I will be cleaning out the warranty storage room at work.

When auto dealers do warranty work on the vehicles they service, they are required by the manufacturers to keep the old, defective part for a specific period of time. Once the claim is paid by the manufacturer, the dealer can generally toss the old part or put it in the scrap pile. We have a seperate area for our warranty parts and the out of site, out of mind rule applies, so we have a couple of years of accumulated parts that must be tossed. Believe me when I tell you there are alot of them and it will likely take us all day to get rid of them. I just hope I can get rid of the mess in one day.

I was filled with apprehension when we decided to get a rescue dog. My daughter told us of the pitfalls that sometimes come with them. We felt that Honey was a good fit and after having her for a week any apprehensions we may have had are gone. She is a great fit and a beautiful companion. Her first couple of days were tramatic. New schedule, didn't eat much, didn't know the domain that well, so we had to be very patient with her. We wondered if she had a vocal chords since she didn't bark even when other dogs barked at her when we were out walking.

Most of the week, Mia took her to work. They would walk to work and back home at lunch and then Mia would drive the truck to work so she didn't have to walk in the dead of night to get home. As Honey got more adapted to the schedule she started to eat. For awhile we thought she was going to survive on treats. We decided to let her on the couch and chair so she could be close to us and be able to see out the windows. She loves to sit on the back of the couch.


Come to find out, she is a walker and she loves to go outside, unless it is raining. She walks very well and has taken several long, long walks with both Mia and I. Here the girls return from a long walk.



She has been very curious about her surroundings both inside and outside. She gets this look that makes you think she is wondering what the heck is happening.

As the week progressed, she started to insert her personality and we found out she can actually bark. She now greets me at night barking, waiting for the front door to open and then, down she goes into a play posture wanting me to pet her and say hi. I do believe she thinks Mia is the lead dog, since she is the one with her the most. However, Thursday night when Mia was gone, we both were laying on the couch, her over my chest and I was gently petting her as we both fell asleep around 7:30 pm and didn't wake up until just before Mia got home. She is a great addition, and makes us get up off the couch and take care of her.

3 comments:

  1. glad to hear that your new addition has fit in quite well!...she is a cutie that is for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We rescued our Lucy and she was the best pet EVER! And it took a long time before we ever heard her bark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling little girl Honey is! My Katie is also a rescue dog, and she's a great companion and a great traveler in the motor home.

    I usually get rescue dogs, and have had a couple I've returned - that's so sad, but you have to be able to live together comfortably. Usually they turn out to be great pets.

    ReplyDelete