Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sports

I am a sports fan. It is hard to be a sports fan in Seattle.
The Mariners looked promising at the beginning of the year but at 61W and 87L it doesn't appear that the promise will reach fruition. I love the Mariners and would love to see them do something more, like win the World Series.
Then there is the Seattle Seahawks. I have to admit to not being a big professional football fan. I watch and get on the bandwagon if and when they do something really great. But it doesn't happen very often and frankly it is tough to watch. Over the years they have been fun to watch at times but just not very consistent.
I am not a big basketball fan, but I did watch the Sonic's when they were here. I hear the Seattle Storm women's basketball club is very good but I have never sat and watched a game.
Then there is the Seattle Thunderbird WHL Hockey team. Fun to watch, but the season hasn't quite started yet. Another 8 or 9 days before the opener against their arch rival the Portland Winterhawks.
My college team is the Washington Huskies and at one time they were a powerhouse and there was a definite swagger to the walk around Seattle. Not so much anymore. While we are 2-0 so far this year we are facing a very difficult schedule starting with this weeks contest in Nebraska. If you have never been to Lincoln, Nebraska on a football weekend you're in for a shock.
Friday afternoon the town turns red. Everything turns red. People dress in red right down to their socks. Stores and bars display red. You walk through a sea of red and across the campus to get to the staduim. The staduim is huge. Not big, HUGE. It seats roughly 85,000 people per game. Husker football is big. The last time we went to Nebraska we were slapped around 56/21. But we both made an appearence in the Holiday Bowl last year and the Huskies managed to beat Nebraska 19/7. I would love to be 3 - 0 at the end of the day on Saturday but our team is fairly young and many likely haven't seen anything like what they will see when they enter the "cathedral". If the stars don't get in their eyes, we have a chance....
Zach and I will be enjoying this weeks football fare and Sunday we'll remove the bumper from the Silverado and install fog lights. I'll be sure to document our progress in pictures.
Hoping you have a great weekend and your team wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment